9.3.05

Slot Car League

Warning: this post may contain shameless bragging, in dangerous proportions.

Few weeks earlier, when we were at the Mall, our attention turned to a store that seemed to be abuzz with whining motors. We stepped in to check out what was going on behind the huge crowd that had gathered around the huge black table with black tracks on it.

Days later, I would own my first Slot car and spend much of my time at this part of the Mall, while my wife kept cursing herself for prodding my to try my hand at racing these Cars. She likes the concept, but she hates my talking about it everytime we're together and losing our Kid somewhere in the store, while the track grabs all my attention. The funny part is, my Brother had actually sent me a Ferrari F1 model a few months ago and I had no clue what it was supposed to do!

More days later, I think I can handle the heat of racing the local league and am enrolling for my first big race today. A league where guys (and ladies) from school kids to grand-daddies bring their best toys to the table. Mind you, its pretty serious business here. You've got to watch these guys huddle around the limited assembly desks, with all the soldering machines, trimmers, magnets and mini-tools. It gets very intimidating. I have mine tuned too, a Merc CLK and it looks a stunner – inside out. Will the rookie rock or will he be rocked? (Sadly) You’ll see it here tomorrow.

No comments: