23.3.06

Shymalan's AmEx 'pitch'


Got to give it to Shyamalan. His ad (also viewable here) for American Express is outright intriguing, honest and charming. Here's why Shyamalan says he made the ad. While you're at it, here's an interesting excerpt from that conversation:

I said to them before I signed on "you need to know right away there are certain levels of integrity that I have and that is going to make this difficult." The one thing I requested was they can't play this ad in movie theaters. Movie theaters are a sacred place. We don't go to the movies to be sold anything. I want the theater to be a pure experience. My diva thing was protecting cinema. But the point is American Express was very responsive to that.


If you're still reading, here's a view ("The problem with M. Night Shyamalan") from Kuro5hin, which thinks of Shymalan's movies as failed comedies.

2 comments:

tris said...

I frankly did not know what to make of it.

hemanth said...

If you've watched all of Shyamalan's movie, you would have observed that his characters are bizarre and their motives suspenseful.

Now here's my interpretation - The ad is supposed to be intriguing, by starting out without an introduction. As the tension builds up, we finally discover that we've been riding inside Shyamalan’s dream world. Then the Director's voice-over breaks in how he dreams his characters up from regular people in a common place.